Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's Not All About AP Courses

About three weeks ago, right before the holidays, our high school was holding its winter concert. There was a bomb threat nearby; the concert was canceled for that evening, as I reported at the time.

It was rescheduled for tonight, and the show did go on: three and a half hours of freshman choir and orchestra, honors music performances and astounding work by the choirs. It was a wonderful evening for the students and their families and for a school district that believes in the power of the arts -- music and fine arts.

The performances weren't perfect -- though some came pretty close -- but you could see the passion and enthusiasm on the students' faces. And their thrill when they received a deserved -- and sustained -- standing ovation.

Experts have long thought music can make a difference in how students perform academically. Here's a collection of findings related to the arts and how they enhance education.


Finally, here are two Einstein quotes:

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music."

So maybe we should make sure our kids get a little chorus with their calculus; some band with their biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment