Friday, February 4, 2011

Metacognition -- Useful Skill or Just Hokum?

As parent of a sophomore, I am most interested (right now) in making certain our daughter has the learning skills she needs to succeed in school, college and life. That's why I am intrigued when I read about techniques to help students learn and study.

I am currently fascinated by metacognition, defined, at least by one source, as awareness or analysis of one's own learning or thinking processes. Here's some background on the subject, which opens with a tantalizing question: "Why do some students in a course perform better than others of roughly equal ability?" the article describes discussions on the topic at the recent annual meeting of the Association of American Colleges and Universities.

By the time kids get to college, you would hope that they know how to learn. We all know that isn't true, and I can sympathize with professorsa who want to focus on content, not how- to-study-seminars. So, is there anything to this? I don't know, but while I was investigating the subject I found this list of questions based on metacognition fundamentals.

I may use some of them to keep me on course when I am trying to sort through a project or assignment. I'm all for anything that brings clarity -- and self-awareness, even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment