Monday, March 28, 2011

Parents -- Give the College Discussions a Rest (for a while, at least)

Sometimes even I can't stand to hear what comes out of my mouth.

I'm talking about my more than occasional nagging about all things college. To a sophomore. One who is conscientious, sensible and who will do the right thing -- in her own good time.

In the past month we've visited one area college (whew, the College Board says that is a good first-time choice); our teen has taken a self-quiz to determine what sorts of colleges might make sense (results were completely inconclusive and to her mind, she's more confused than ever); her guidance counselor knows her name already; junior year classes have been selected; and we've got the not-fun part of the summer mapped out.

Our teen will take a preview course in Algebra II and trig, to get her ready for next year's math, and a two week PSAT/SAT prep class to get her accustomed to the test and to help her gain test-taking strategies. There will also be babysitting and other paying tasks, along with, I promise, some fun.

We're in good shape, for now. And I should say nothing more, listen when our teen wants to talk about college, and then just wait for signs of a budding interest in this process.

Let's see how long I can keep my thoughts to myself.

An Update: Last week I shared a Sweet 16 handicapping based on comparing the admissions pages of the two opposing teams. Blogger Eric Hoover selected the losing team as having the best site 50 percent of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment