Sunday, March 20, 2011

Theater/Music Team Scores Huge Win

In the midst of March Madness, we've been consumed by a high school musical. Not that one, a real one. Our teen was in the pit band of The Drowsy Chaperone, and her positive experience and the great outcome made me remember that teams come in all shapes and styles, that a stage and a playing field have much in common. It takes talent, hard work and dedication to win a game, and to win over an audience.

Call me starstruck, a sap for musicals, a doting mom whose doting quickly extended to the entire cast and every musician, stagehand and chorus member. But the one thing you can't call me is a liar. The show was spectacular. Three friends who attended, at different performances, will back me up, including one who has seen more New York theater than most of us combined.

I won't even try to describe the incredibly accomplished singing, dancing, acting, directing and musicianship. Here's a sample, though, and if you want to buy the DVD, let me know.

But back to the March Madness mention. Our daughter doesn't play sports, but this experience gave her the opportunity to be a part of a team, to feel the camaraderie, to understand the gifts each of these kids brought to the production and to practice time management.

Go arts! Go theater! And, ok, I can't help myself: Go, Duke!

No comments:

Post a Comment